Do snake flies outfish sunk lures/tandems when estuary fishing? Preparing new box

speydream

I will be fishing a new area this year, an estuary which has good seatrout from july onwards. It also gets good shoals of mackeral, so I am thinking seatrout may feed on very small mackeral and I should go for something like medicene flies, tandems and sunk lures. My question is, should I drop these classic flies and just tie up more modern snake flies?

I am thinking of tying my sunk lures with very mobile arctic fox...

thanks

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
Well , the obvious thing would be , if you could catch a feeding fish , to spoon it and see what its been feeding on . Otherwise you are back to the old conundrum of tempting a non feeding fish with an artificial that you have to guess at . If you think the sea trout feed on the mackeral shoals then by all means go for fry type lures - Rogans Gadget has always been a popular estuary fly . Personally I would look at some clousers , too . The medicine and the sunk lure tandems and snakes are often used as a sandeel imitation . This is getting to be more and more of a moot point as the sandeel population drops as it is fished out to feed factory farmed caged fish . You may want to look at shrimp patterns like the Baltic ones and maybe even small crab lures .

billybass

I have never had a sea trout on the fly in the salt, but i know i have covered them, so i would be interested in peoples suggestions also.

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
I have covered them with eel type lures while they were at behaving as though they were feeding , crashing into schools of sandeels and jumping etc , this at the mouth of an estuary . Didnt have any takes though . Caught them further up in brackish water , or at least hooked them on clousers and had interest in weighted crab patterns . I think that an awareness of where the ST feed and what they feed on is needed here to make the choice of lure/presentation to provoke a feeding response . Personally I still feel that presentation is more important than exact imitation when one doesnt have the information on feeding and feeding patterns and that a loosely representative pattern presented well will do best .