Disease !

holloway

Just wondering if the country as a whole is beggining to see this as a bad season for disease ? udn, saprogenia ,furunculosis i am always a bit puzzled are these all the same ?
Have seen quite a lot on the Dart this season not really been fishing it for long enough to say more than usual .What about the rest of the country ?.

tandem

Holloway , Friends fishing the dart are reporting disease problems in the middle beats , something is clearly amiss . There are no issues on the Teign I am aware of . They have reported their concerns to the EA reporting line , you should too IMHO . There was also an issue of a smell of sewerage , don't know if that has anything to do with it , that has also been reported .

stuartpengs

There were isolated reports of similar this time last year, particularly on the Ogmore (Jon might be able to confirm this). Not sure what became of it but I think it was primarily down to low levels and high temps. Nothing been seen on the Conwy as far as any saprolegnia on fish, but we are watching. Personally I don't think it's anything more insidious than the low levels/high water temps issue again, but you're right to report it.

Tawpug

Holloway,

The Lyn had an outbreak of UDN last year and was closed I believe at he end of July. There were also some diseased fish reported from the Taw in April and May of last year. Fortunately nothing so far this year, at least on the Taw that is.

Definitely worth checking to see whether or not the EA have their ducks in a row

TP

Roobarb

...udn, saprogenia ,furunculosis i am always a bit puzzled are these all the same ?
UDN and Furunculosis are different diseases.
The Saprolegnia is a secondary fungal infection on damaged tissue seen in both UDN and Furunculosis (as well as occuring on fish not affected by UDN and Furunculosis). The early signs of UDN are ulcers usually around the head.

Andy

holloway

Holloway , Friends fishing the dart are reporting disease problems in the middle beats , something is clearly amiss . There are no issues on the Teign I am aware of . They have reported their concerns to the EA reporting line , you should too IMHO . There was also an issue of a smell of sewerage , don't know if that has anything to do with it , that has also been reported .
EA notified weeks ago, been a fortnight since the diseased fish moved on up river but i am amazed that others are only now starting to comment ,i have felt for a month or two that the river wasnt at its healthiest.Seen very few anglers out and began to wonder if they knew something that i didnt.Only had one myself and that one was clean hopefully the worst is over.

jj1

White patch and red sore fish where prevelant last season on the og, they arealso about this year and on the neath, jon