Der Flammenwerfer Part 1

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

Once again I run into some difficulty posting a step by step that has more than 10 photographs with it. You may see the end of it in part 2 of the thread :giggle:

Tying Materials

Tube: Veniard 1" copper slipstream
Thread: Red
Tag and rib: Silver wire
Rear body: Large silver holographic tinsel
Rear hackle: Chevron yellow dyed hen saddle hackle
Rear wing: Fluorescent dyed yellow bucktail overlaid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash
Front body: Red floss or tying silk
Middle hackle: Chevron orange dyed hen saddle hackle
Front Wing: Fluorescent dyed orange orange bucktail overlaid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl tinsel
Front hackle: Chevron kingfisher blue dyed hen saddle hackle
Cheeks: Jungle cock

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the tube in the collet. Veniard tubes invariably have a decent end and a ropey one. It is best to have the good end facing forward to help keep the fly head neat.

Step 2. Attach red tying thread and wind back.

Step 3: Catch in a length of wire and wind thread to rear end of tube.

Step 4: Wind the silver wire for 6 - 8 turns to form a tag. Bend back the wire end and tie in.

Step 5: Wind the thread to the mid point of the tube. Tie in a length of large holographic silver tinsel. Wind the tinsel back to the wire tag and forward to its point of origin. Tie down and cut off waste end.

Step 6: Wind the remaining wire in open turn to form rib. Tie down waste end and either cut off with OLD scissors or 'worry off' by jiggling the wire until it breaks.

Step 7: Tie in a yellow dyed hen saddle hackle by the tip. Double back and tie down to secure.

Step 8: Double the hackle and wind.

Step 9: Cut a slim bunch of fluo yellow dyed bucktail and tie down over the hackle.

Step 10: Overlay the bucktail with doubled lengths of flash. Stretch the flash with your fingers before cutting to desired length.

To be continued...............;)

Part 2

Step 11: Trim waste ends of bucktail and tie in a length of silver wire and a length of red floss and a length of red floss. Wind the floss to form the body.

Step 12: Wind the wire in open turns to form the rib.

Step 13: Tie in an orange dyed hen saddle hackle by the tip and wind.

Step 14: Tie in a bunch of fluo orange dyed bucktal.

Step 15: Overlay the bucktail with 2 doubled lengths of flash. Stretch and trim.

Step 16: Tie in a kingfisher blue dyed hen saddle hackle by the tip. Double and wind.

Step 17: Tie in a pair of jungle cock nails.

Step 18: Whip finish and varnish to complete.

Step 19: Go catch something that you don't need a mask to prevent you from catching (y)

In fact looks perfect for my trip to the Spey next summer.

Have I told you I’m going to the Spey next summer??

I only put the reply up that I did for I live in mortal fear for your fly fishing wine guzzling eternal soul. I hoped that by quoting a little bit of the Good Book, Matthew 5:29 to be precise that you might actually join me for some good old fashioned fire and brimstone bible thumping. Leave your lust for all things carbon and shiny behind you and adopt a far more spiritual and simple existence :)

• Haha
Reactions: T7

The fishing gods are cruel but still I sacrifice my bank account before them ?

Rumour has it that when you don you cloak and go out dancing naked in the woods it is not only your bank account that gets sacrificed. The odd magpie or two might find itself getting sent to the underworld. I only know of these rumours because I started them ?

T7

Rumour has it that when you don you cloak and go out dancing naked in the woods it is not only your bank account that gets sacrificed. The odd magpie or two might find itself getting sent to the underworld. I only know of these rumours because I started them ?
My god has the head of a magpie and the tail of a salmon which is being slapped across the face of a hapless angler who looks a lot like me

OK then if we are offering up confessions from the darkest corners of our minds, my own demon has the head of a separated wife, the forked tail of her mother and the shrill voice of her sister screaming 'That loser is no good for you' constantly as I am slowly toasted over an open fire. Kind of makes your own demon look like a Sunday school teacher on an outing to the zoo :devilish:

• Wow