Clwyd & Elwy 2009

sewinbasher

just a quick thought that maybe some of you committee types may want to discuss at your September meeting.
If the C&R extension is aimed at demonstrating the numbers of salmon in the river, then should the club open all its water to spinning for October, if we get a wet Sept and oct we could be left with the majority of fish upstream of the areas we can fish.
Just a thought:confused:
Spinning will be allowed by the EA so its surely just a matter of get the club to agree that fishing will be to the EA rules.

sewinbasher

the very fact you caught the brownie on a flying c is a clue to how it has grown so large, by eating other fish. I do not know the elwy that well but the clwyd will also produce huge brownies from time to time. They are very rare though and I am sure made up for the no show of its migratory cousins. My impression of the two rivers would be that over the Elwy is a much flashier river than the CLwyd i.e. its spate nature means that the fishing is either boom or bust whereas the Clwyd will fish for longer periods after spates etc.
Having said that of course the Clwyd is a much better river everyone knows that;););)
The official returns show that roughly 3 salmon are caught on the Clwyd for every 1 from the Elwy, and just over 4 sea trout for every 1. My guess is that rod pressure is heavier on the Clwyd so in terms of fish per rod hour there might not be much in it.

I agree with Clwydman that the Elwy is often boom or bust and the Clwyd is more consistent but a little harder to fish with fly at times because of the lack of flow in some pools at lower levels.

I'm sure that the big brownies will be piscivorous to a large extent but even 7" browns will hit a Mepps or Flying C.

Last edited:

apprentice 2

Polecat,

Anyway Highplains, I am rather dissapointed that the question I asked a while back ( regarding landowners allowing who ever to fish the river ) hasn't been answered. We are told in the booklet to ask to see another persons membership booklet but what are we ment to do if they simply say they have permission from the landowner or 'estate' ??

Lets not let this 'River watch' idea go..............less talking and more action thats what I say!

The matter(s) you and Clwydman have raised WILL be discussed at the next commmittee meeting, this Thursday.

Brian M

scrumbag

Polecat,

Anyway Highplains, I am rather dissapointed that the question I asked a while back ( regarding landowners allowing who ever to fish the river ) hasn't been answered. We are told in the booklet to ask to see another persons membership booklet but what are we ment to do if they simply say they have permission from the landowner or 'estate' ??

That legally is a tricky point and will depend on the contract we as a fishing club have with the owner of the riparian rights. (Landownership can separate be separate from fishing rights). Do we have the sole right of usage as a club for our members or just the right to? If it is the first then the holder of the riparian rights should not have given the permission for that person to fish. If the latter then fair enough there's not a lot we can do about it. That assumes the particular angler in question is telling the truth if course.:cool:

Scrummy

clwydspecial

With regards to the matter of strangers fishing the river might it not be a good idea to ask the riparian owners for a list of people that they invite to fish the river at the beginning of every season. The club could then send them a catch return form to be filled in. This would benefit the club in two ways controlling the people allowed to fish the clubs waters and adding to the catch statistics. Any comments?

apprentice 2

Clwydspecial,

With regards to the matter of strangers fishing the river might it not be a good idea to ask the riparian owners for a list of people that they invite to fish the river at the beginning of every season. The club could then send them a catch return form to be filled in. This would benefit the club in two ways controlling the people allowed to fish the clubs waters and adding to the catch statistics. Any comments?

Something else to raise under AOB at Thursday's DCAC committee meeting.

Brian M.

highplains

I apologise Polecat if I have not responded to your query adequately, but as Brian is to take up the matter on Thursday I will leave it to him to get back on that one.

With regard to the £10.00 ticket, I suspect that the claim was false on the grounds that the sections of river the ticket claimed to cover are owned by different farms.

Please take a note of any cars without stickers and report their registrations on the reporting facility on the Campaign web site. The EA will then do a check to see who the owner is. Similarly any unknown faces such as those you saw. It is not too late so please add a report now. There have been several such cases so far this season.

Thanks

Highplains

Last edited:

outside

None of my business really, but could the club not issue official 'riparian owner' passes to the owners, and incist that anyone that they invite is carrying one? Also tell them to expect to have it checked, thereby avoiding animosity. Would only need a piece of laminated card...

P

polecat

Spot on outside. All anglers should be carrying identification with them.

It annoys me that many anglers I meet on the banks, seem to be rather blase when it comes to rod and line poachers. Ok, they might not be having such a devastating effect on fish stocks as 'proffessional poachers' who go out with nets, lamps etc but they are still outright thieives and I have struggled to pay for my membership this season so it really narks me when people are getting away with free fishing:(

outside

It annoys me if I buy a day ticket and no-one checks it. Makes me think people don't care. I think checking permits should get into the culture. Remember too that anyone upon showing their rod licence can demand to see someone elses. ANYONE elses. Failure to produce should be reported immediately to the EA

P

polecat

Yes me too. Over the years I have spent hundreds, no thousands of pounds on day tickets, membership and licence fees and not once - NOT BLOODY ONCE - have I ever been checked:mad: And you are right, it does make you feel that no one cares and that your a bit of a mug, and that its little wonder how some people have the nerve not to pay up.

Christ, with all that money, I could have had one hell of a fishing trip to British Columbia and probably caught more salmon in a day than I could catch in several lifetimes here:(

clwydman

Close to the upper reaches of the Clwyd, the bit a
Polecat I could not agree more but the place to express your views is at the club AGM. There are still remaining a few dinosaurs who do not recognise the importance of change but to be fair to the senior officers they are very forward thinking. I would support the return of club bailiffs who check club cards and day tickets of any angers on the river. In fact I would happily volunteer!

P

polecat

I would also happily volunteer and I have actually got bailiffing experience when I spent a season working as a ranger. ( bloody great job:D )

'polecat I could not agree more but the place to express your views is at the club AGM.'

Clwydman, apprentice 2 is raising all the points I have made at the committee meeting today so I have to disagree with your above comment somewhat.
All issues relating to the club should be relevant on this thread and we should not restrict ourselves to a simple fishing report consisting of 'who's catching.' ;)

Last edited:

clwydspecial

Many years ago I was an Honorary bailiff with the then DDAC for about 2 years until work commitments conspired against me, but I can remember that quite a few members (the more senior/older members) on occasions did not liked to be asked for their membership details or rod licence by a twenty year old. It was if it was beneath them.
At that time I was on the river fishing most days and got to know the faces of the regulars who fished and their cars too, so it became more of a wave of the the hand to acknowledge each other than an inspection of documents.
Maybe we could have club stewards instead of bailiffs that inspected club membership cards. I know its only a play on words but to be asked for your details by a steward than a bailiff would seem more personal and protective of the clubs fishing rights.
The reason I was asked to become a Hon Bailiff was because I was on the river most of the time during the season (ask the wife) so these would be the ideal people to ask again, not someone who would just like the title of Hon Bailiff or Club Steward and it was also go excuse to go fishing too " I'm off patrol the banks" meant that I could get a good few hrs of fishing in.

P

polecat

I had exactly the same experience when I worked at Brenig. Despite clearly knowing I was a ranger and them having nothing to hide,( well most of the time) alot of older people would get rather funny and I concluded that is was because of my age. You would be surprised how many of the older gentlemen would flout rules; there was more than one occassion when I caught one of them with way over the limit stuffed in their bags and on the Alwen they were sods for using powerbait!:rolleyes:

Because I am still rather 'youngish' ( I turn 30 next month.......yikes:eek:) this is one of the reasons I won't bother going to the AGM despite having lots to say, because I believe that my age will stop me from being taken seriously.

clwydman

Close to the upper reaches of the Clwyd, the bit a
Clwydman, apprentice 2 is raising all the points I have made at the committee meeting today so I have to disagree with your above comment somewhat.

I am aware that apprentice 2 is raising the points made at the committee meeting tonight but my point is that club rules etc can only be changed at an AGM and as someone who has attended every AGM for the last 20 odd years I have seen attendances dwindle to barely a quorum and people happy to sit and agree to all and everything in front of them. To be fair to all I do also feel that this was the main aim of the previous officers but to be fair to Colin and co now, nothing could be further from the truth. The senior officers of the committee want and are actively seeking ideas from anglers who fish the river regularly (remember there is still a number of committee members who never fish the river and these non fishing members have been central to some disasterous decisions over the years).

It is vital that we do not just share our ideas here on the forum but that we sell them to all and the AGM is the one opportunity for all club members to pool ideas in order to improve all aspects of the club. We have to as members accept that many do miss the opportunity for input to the running of the club by missing AGM year on year.

sewinbasher

I am aware that apprentice 2 is raising the points made at the committee meeting tonight but my point is that club rules etc can only be changed at an AGM and as someone who has attended every AGM for the last 20 odd years I have seen attendances dwindle to barely a quorum and people happy to sit and agree to all and everything in front of them. To be fair to all I do also feel that this was the main aim of the previous officers but to be fair to Colin and co now, nothing could be further from the truth. The senior officers of the committee want and are actively seeking ideas from anglers who fish the river regularly (remember there is still a number of committee members who never fish the river and these non fishing members have been central to some disasterous decisions over the years).

It is vital that we do not just share our ideas here on the forum but that we sell them to all and the AGM is the one opportunity for all club members to pool ideas in order to improve all aspects of the club. We have to as members accept that many do miss the opportunity for input to the running of the club by missing AGM year on year.
I'll hold up my hand here and say that my AGM attendance has been poor, I'm going to make the effort this year.

clwydspecial

Sorry boys, but I too must apologise for missing the last 15 or so AGMs, Members nights and all other such events. Work again unfortunately I cant catch enough fish off the river Clwyd to make a living :rolleyes: mores the pity. As soon as I give up traveling I can concentrate on the better things in life

apprentice 2

Riparian owners permits etc

Riparian owners permits etc

Yesterday’s committee meeting, DCAC, was useful and informative. I shall PM all those who have commented on poaching, “river watch” and “security” rather than post on an open forum. This will take a day or two, as I am on “ancient parent watch” for a couple of days! If I accidentally miss anybody out I apologise in advance and if you missed and don’t get a PM by say Tuesday - rattle my cage. (I shall be embarrassed and contrite but not put-out.)

As for “Riparian Owners’” permits, apparently it is simple;- those owners who reserve the right to permit angling on their beats to their chosen ones, (many don’t,) are all given DCAC membership books clearly identified as belonging to specific riparian owners. ANYBODY given permission by the landowner to fish on these permits is obliged to carry them and should produce them when requested.

Brian M