Clwyd and Elwy 2020

elwyman

That is a beautiful fish.

Paul
I agree, it is a lovely looking fish, a hen just starting to colour up, I think.

This is a cock fish (I think) I caught last year from the same beat. Must admit I find this to be a stunning looking specimen as well, you can see the power in this fish.

PS: looking at it again I'm thinking hen fish? The difference is more obvious as they get closer to spawning.

20190818_113321.jpg

Last edited:

elwyman

Loving the R.L. Winston there, nice fish.
As you probably know, Foxons used to build rods on Winston blanks. His daughter Renee is a superb rod builder. I've had a few over the years, and do like their softer action.....they are quite fast action but not stiff and tippy like many rods.
The rod in the picture is one I bagged from Sportfish in a half price sale, too good a bargain to resist!

Alwyn

I’ve been looking around online and it’s hard to find a Winston rod in the sea trout bracket, i.e. 10ft for a 7 or 8wt. Is there a particular model I should search for? Obviously I need another sea trout rod to complement the 5 I have already! :)

elwyman

A 9' or 10' #7 would cover most situations, with a 10' probably better for larger rivers. The rod in the picture is actually a 10' 8wt, BIIx rod, no longer marketed. I bought it when I was fishing a particular pool on the Conwy which involved deep wading and long casts, but I generally use #6 or 7wt rods on smaller rivers.
I would say Winstons are great rods for top of the water fishing with floaters and sink tips, but some rods lack back bone for pulling up and casting sinking lines.
I was quite shocked when I saw the price of new Winstons at the Glasgow Angling Megastore! Second hand rods often appear on EBay or on the Foxons web site. However, I find it hard to recommend a rod to anyone without trying it out first, we all have different preferences.
I also have a 10' Guideline LPXE #7 wt rod. I bought it after Daz, who used to frequent this forum, once said it was the best all round sea trout rod he had used. I'd agree it's an excellent rod, and would recommend you try one out if you can.

elwyman

In the past a #7 wt rod was my go to choice for the Clwyd and Elwy. This season I dropped down to a #6 wt for most of my night fishing, because most of the sea trout are in the 1lb to 1.5lb range, with 4 and 5lb fish quite rare.
The 6wt was fun to use and I know some lads even drop down to 5 wt rods in August when the small sewin are in abundance.

Alwyn

Thanks Elwyman. At the moment I am using a 10ft Hardy Demon #7 weight (Original models) which I generally use 7 wt lines when fishing Woodmill or Testwood where long casts are rarely needed. Ive started to overline them with #8wt lines when on the Towy this year and I realise that I should’ve done this years ago! The Demons are not too fast but have some backbone which I think works well. I also have an Enigma EMG mark one, 10 ft #7wt (3 piece) which I love and I tend to use when using a floating line and when fishing a surface lure. It’s a lovely medium action and superb when playing a fish. I also have another Mk 1 Enigma - a 2 piece 10ft #8wt (not the JJ special) which I rarely use to be honest. I then add old Hardy Marquis click and pawl reels just for the sound effects, and I‘m all set! 😀

Fergus

My dad and I love them, he has one from Foxons and I have one from America that are 9’6” rods. He also has an 8’6” one.

elwyman

Lovely looking fish Fergus, there seems to be a decent head of trout in the river at the moment. I was out this afternoon on the Kinmel Beats, after salmon. I didn't get one but my pal, who fished early this morning caught a 5lb and a 7lb grilse, both had been in a while.
Season ends today........unless I go grayling fishing.😉