Clwyd and Elwy 2019

Sewinstar

Thought I would try and get a thread started for these little rivers. Only been out once for a few hours.

Many reports coming in?

elwyman

The high water in June appears to have brought in decent numbers of fish to both rivers. Fish are being caught on both rivers. I've had a few to 2lb off the Elwy, to fly at night.

elwyman

20190712_005554.jpg

Caught this on the Elwy tonight, on a hairwing Butcher pattern. Leapt about the pool and gave me a good fight.

phl

Lovely fish, Elwyman. It's nice to see a report from the Elwy, a river I used to fish: makes me nostalgic!
Paul

elwyman

Thanks, fish was about 3.5lb, my best at night for a couple of seasons. Conditions weren't great, big moon and mist rolling over the fields, although not on the water.
Fish came from the middle river, above Pont y Ddol. River was quiet, nothing showing.

Sewinstar

Been out a few times over the last week one fish and two lost to show for my efforts. Seems to be a few fish about best was 2lb good little fight. Some beats getting hammered during the day which is making night fishing tough I think

elwyman

The small rise in water may liven things up on the Elwy, get fish moving upriver. Sounds like the Clwyd has had a good run of sea trout.

Alwyn

We have our family holiday in Tywyn during the last week of August. The Mrs will probably be OK with me sneaking off for a short night on the river. Is there anywhere you could recommend I try where I can get a day ticket?

elwyman

Alwyn, I'm afraid end if August is too late for night fishing on the Elwy. The Clwyd may still be worth a shot, as it tends to be a later river. If you can stretch to a night on the Conwy, the Gwydyr fishery will offer a much better chance of sport if conditions are good. Pop into Foxons in St Asaph and they will point you in the right direction.

phl

I'm quite sure Elwyman knows these rivers a lot better than I do, but I wouldn't be too pessimistic about your chances on the Clwyd. I fished there for two seasons, 2010 and 2011, ,and (according to my diary), in 2010 I had seatrout on August 16th, August 19th and August 27th, a blank on August 30th, then 5 small ones on September 1st. In 2011 I had 2 on August 14th, a blank on the 27th, one on the 29th, and a last one on the 31st. All these were night fishing, by a not very expert sea trout fisher (me). I was fishing the Rhyl and St Asaph water. Although some of their best beats are for members only, you can get day tickets for others. If you're just planning a few hours, I'd try their Pont Dafydd beat, which is easy to get to, and has pretty clear banks so you should be able to fish it safely. As Elwyman says, Foxons will give you excellent advice anyway.

Let us know how you get on! I'm now based in Yorkshire, and miss the Clwyd and Elwy.

Paul

elwyman

Yes there is usually a run of smaller fish in both rivers through August and into September, but the bigger fish will be stale and only catchable as they move up river on spares.

Last edited:

elwyman

Had an enjoyable few hours last night. Caught a 1lb fish early on a butcher on the dropper. Gave me confidence that the fish could see the fly as the water had a bit of a peat stain.

I moved to a different pool, quite a large pool for the Elwy but you can cover it with half a dozen casts. No takes and nothing moving at midnight. I was contemplating an early finish when a good fish jumped mid pool, almost straight in front of me. After 3 or 4 casts I had a strong take and the fish made a lightning fast run to the opposite bank and thrashed about on the surface. It made some more runs up and down the pool and started to tire. I beached it on the shingle and admired a 4 1/2 lb fish, probably been in the river a week or more. Took a quick photo and return it. A similar size fish jumped higher up the pool 5 minutes later. Perhaps the fish were moving up river, but I fished until 1.15am with no further takes.

My best fish at night from the Elwy for a few years, so well pleased.

20190804_015419.jpg