Cardigan Bay bonanza

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
If the tides and waves are right (flat calm) at the moment - the fishing is awesome - especially on the fly! In fact i spoke with some Kayakers who had blanked on bait and spinners, but were amazed at the amount of fish i took on the fly.

Friday was slow - but i missed the tide by about 30 minutes and only managed 2 Bass and a Garfish....i fished the tide all the way in, but nothing else.

So i decided that Saturday would be the day, and i fished from 1hr after high to low water....what a difference and what a day!

There were a hell of a lot of sea trout on the back of the rocks, jumping and swirling feet from me, but they werent having it....i tried lots of patterns leftover from my Denmark trip - but nothing.

But the bass were avidly feeding, and by the end of the day i had 15 double headers - which often end in tangles!

The water and weather were stunning, in fact it was like fishing the Flats in the Bahamas, sight fishing for fish!

and whilst difficult to see, there were Gars and Bass cruising on the Surface on this pic

Stunning water

and some arty shots

The forty plus floater is an awesome line for saltwater fishing, and can get some great distance when double hauled!

As for flies - i tied up some simple sandeel, baitfish and mackerel patterns - using DNA - nothing else, no body materials and an epoxy head - simple but deadly

Shredded by Bass

Mackerel - bands coloured with marker pen

A few other shots - i had well over 50 in about 3 hours and 4 Gars - which are stunning on the fly! Nothing too big - biggest around 2lbs - all fish returned.

A friend models my Gar!

and some Bass

Another Great day!!!!

Hoppy

springwell

Nice one Hoppy,

Give me a shout the next time you are down my way, you weren't fishing a million miles from where I live and I'll show you some spots maybe:rolleyes:

But seems like you have it sorted.:)

Bill :)

B

bungle

Looks like a fantastic session again,it don't get much better than that...:cool:

Ian

Aled

Cracking photos there Hoppy, and well done on some greast fishing. :D
Try a bubble float and earthworm for the sewin. ;);).
(worked quite well in the sea in Scotland some 20years ago,...bless me Father i have sinned....:eek:)
Tight Lines
Aled

Andy R

Hoppy,

Fantastic pics, looks like amazing sport, is it at the mark we briefly talked about last year? I've not been yet this summer, but looks like I ought to go if it was,

Anyway I'm now inspired.

Andy

Andy R

Hoppy,

Fantastic pics, looks like amazing sport, is it at the mark we briefly talked about last year? I've not been yet this summer, but looks like I ought to go if it was,

Anyway I'm now inspired. Liked the art shots particularly....

What weight outfit were you using in the calm? #7? Did this have a bearing on your sport, I always think my 'purpose' saltwater outfit at a #9 is too heavy at times.

Andy

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, its close by - perhaps 2miles! (you have a pm)!

I use a wf 8wt 40+ floater which is a great line for distance work... fairly short leader too (8ft)

Speak soon

Hoppy

Ribblerod

9# is a little too heavy for general uk BAssing (having limited application for certain venues). a good 8# will do almost anything at the heavy end with the correct line and tecnique. The wind is the desiding factor more often with light to nil winds and Bass of this sort of size a 5# is a blast as fish under 1 1/2 can be very plentiful and offer great sport. That said it isn't often you get to fish the coast in a flat calm and you need 7# up to cast most poppers etc.
As a cheeky nudge i still have the 8# RPLXi sage saltwater 3pc and the Reddington 8# saltwater smuggler type that was in the for sale section last year:D

Andy R

Ribblerod, Hoppy,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Re: the Sage: I'd love to, but the wife would kill me, I've 40 plus rods as it is, (two uptide, one 50lb class shark) 6 beachcasters (out and out and bass/flatie) four carp/pike, six or so general Avon/barbel rods from 10 foot to 13 foot, at least five spinners, and too many trout and seatrout rods, plus 7 double handers.

Can't bear to throw any away/ sell any.

Andy