Brownie or sea trout?

tom_o_m

Hi All,

I fished the Test today near stockbridge, as a guest of a friend who has a rod in the forces angling club (cheap fishing on the Test, it does exist!).

Terrible weather but I caught 2 trout and a grayling, all 14". The trout are stocked, but when I got home I realised one is very silver with black spots. It looks like a sea trout.

Would be interested in you views. It was caught at last light on a size 14 beaded nymph. It is the top one in the group pick.

Thanks,

Tom20181011_190136.jpgIMG-20181011-WA0012.jpg

tom_o_m

Just remembered there was also an almighty splash as a fish jumped fully out of the water soon after in the same part of the pool.

I know sea trout are caught in good numbers on the lower river but I haven't seen any the 7 or 8 times I've fished this beat.

Worth noting it didn't leap once when hooked, which makes me think it is a brownie.

Last edited:

phl

I'd be pretty sure this is a brown trout. Not so much because of the colouring, but from the shape and the fins, which are typical of a stocked fish. The pectoral fin looks a bit distorted, as is often the case with stocked fish, and the tails of both fish are less clean-cut than you would usually find in a wild fish (brown or seatrout). A 14" seatrout would usually have a quite sharply-forked tail, and a slimmer profile.

It's an interesting point, however, about identifying late-season fish. Current scientific opinion is that brown trout and sea trout are the same species, and seatrout that have been in the river for some time do get to look much more like brown trout. I've caught a few fish that I really wasn't sure about. Brown trout usually have a few red spots (but not always) and I've sometimes caught fish I was pretty sure were (smallish) sea trout which did have some red spots. I suspect the red spots which sea trout parr have persist for a while under the silver sheen of finnock, and reappear when the fish have been back in the river for a while. What do others think?

Paul

tom_o_m

Thanks Paul,

It was chunkier than the usual stocked browns. A real barrel.

Ordinarily this would indicate to me that it wasn't a sea trout as the small peel i catch in west country rivers are thin. But I understand that the South Coast fish, like the Ousse sea trout, are relatively fat.

I don't know if the pectoral fin was damaged in transit, but the tail edge was a little tattered.

I think you're right, it is likely a brownie, I'm just struck by the colouration. It is very silver and the spots are exclusively black.

Would be interested to hear from Testwood anglers.

Thanks,

Tom