bass on the fly

speycaster

i had two small bass and half adozen mackeral from pensarn beach last week on the fly great fun , the seatrout season has been awfull ive only had two so far

elwyman

Well done, I heard there were massive shoals of mackerel around....must be good fun on fly tackle.

T7

Great to hear. I keep meaning to come across to N wales for some SwFF. Do you fish around structure or anywhere directly off the beach? Any particular tides? Cheers!

speycaster

strutures piles, rock beds and the like i was there again yesterday the old grey seal made sure i had no takers lol

Reactions: T7

Sash

Structure is (really) good, but don't rule out long, featureless, surf beaches. My two best bass this year (largest 8lbs+) came from the middle of a Pembrokeshire beach with absolutely no features/rocks etc except at the ends!

I fish the beach like a long (boring) salmon pool: cast and side step, cast and side step etc. The bass seem to patrol up and down the line just behind and where the waves break, so I just need to find them.

No need to cast far: in bad weather (which the bass LIKE) I probably cast closer to 15 yards than 20 yards. But they are out there all right, and give a terrific fight on a fly rod.

elwyman

I agree that bass are usually quite close in and they do seem to prefer rocky shorelines. On a few occasions I've actually seen bass come from behind a rock and take my lure.

I had a couple of hours lure fishing at Llanddulas today, didn't see anyone catching. Checking local catch reports it seems fishing has been good this season, but it's gone a bit quiet since the recent storm broke up the big shoals of mackerel and whitebait.