bass on the fly

speycaster

i had two small bass and half adozen mackeral from pensarn beach last week on the fly great fun , the seatrout season has been awfull ive only had two so far

elwyman

Well done, I heard there were massive shoals of mackerel around....must be good fun on fly tackle.

T7

Great to hear. I keep meaning to come across to N wales for some SwFF. Do you fish around structure or anywhere directly off the beach? Any particular tides? Cheers!

Sash

Structure is (really) good, but don't rule out long, featureless, surf beaches. My two best bass this year (largest 8lbs+) came from the middle of a Pembrokeshire beach with absolutely no features/rocks etc except at the ends!

I fish the beach like a long (boring) salmon pool: cast and side step, cast and side step etc. The bass seem to patrol up and down the line just behind and where the waves break, so I just need to find them.

No need to cast far: in bad weather (which the bass LIKE) I probably cast closer to 15 yards than 20 yards. But they are out there all right, and give a terrific fight on a fly rod.

elwyman

I agree that bass are usually quite close in and they do seem to prefer rocky shorelines. On a few occasions I've actually seen bass come from behind a rock and take my lure.

I had a couple of hours lure fishing at Llanddulas today, didn't see anyone catching. Checking local catch reports it seems fishing has been good this season, but it's gone a bit quiet since the recent storm broke up the big shoals of mackerel and whitebait.