Bass flies for sea trout

Rodney

I know of some anglers fly fishing for sea bass with sand eel patterns in estuaries that have also caught sea trout. I would be interested to know if anyone has had any success with these sand eel patterns for sea trout in the rivers. I was thinking of trying some of these patterns early in the season instead of ‘traditional river patterns’. But perhaps I might be wasting my time!!
Rodney

Dropper

I don't see why not but the only trouble would be the tail nipping as the wing usually extends way past the hook and would end up being quite frustrating. Tie up a pattern with a stinger and it would be a different story all together.

Dropper

Are't a Falkus type sunk lure, other slimline tandems, many slimline tubes and snakes sandeel like imitations?

Nf
I think they would quite easily imitate sandeel and I don't see why flies like these won't catch bass but the reason they are successful in the river is probably more down to movement and where the hooks are situated rather than what it imitates ensuring a hook up. I would be glad to be corrected as it's an interesting debate and I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert.

outside

The Falkus sunk lure was certainly intended to look like a sandeel, he used it in saltwater with some success too I believe

Dropper

I have no doubt that the intention of Hugh falkus's sunk lure was to imitate a sandeel and I also do not doubt that it will catch sea trout or bass in salt but the debate is more about whether a something like a clouser minnow or surf candy which are sandeel/fry imitations with the hook in the middle of the lure rather than near the tail would catch sea trout in the river. I'm not saying they won't catch in the river but I am saying there will be a bit of tail nipping going on resulting in missed opportunities. Tie the pattern on a tandem mount or with a stinger and they won't miss.

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
I tied up clousers with the looped in upward tail-hook mount the americans favour some years ago for just this reason,there may even be pictures here somewhere.Never got to try them,though

stig

I think most Bass flies are tied with the expectation that the fish will be hitting the head of the fly so to leave plenty trailing is not a problem. Most are tied with a visible target area or an eye or spot near the head. I use snake flies(mostly) when I'm Bassing, which I can then use for Sea Trout as well. I'll occasionally use a tandem which again I can use higher up. I think there tends to be a bit of snobbery in the saltwater fly fishing fraternity- I once enquired from a well known local supplier if I could get stainless trebles in sizes smaller than a 6 only to be told that 'we' don't use trebles on 'our' flies. Guess what? He lost a sale there and I'd never go back to the pompous ar*e again!
I think what the others have said with regard tail nippers is true-but I expect most of us have caught with flies that defy logic and sensibility and so if having one or two weird and wonderfull creations in your box gives you a bit of confidence then fill your boots........

qwerty

Last year having returned from my regular budget trip to Monomoy on the Cape striper fishing, I decided to have a go on my local river 15 miles upstream from the estury with some of the roughly tied clousers I made for the trip. They caught fish.

Rene V.

I caught seatrout during bass fishing on a sandeel hook 2/0 and on a clouser hook 1/0.Lots of fishing friends caught seatrout at bass fishing adventures at sea.

Grtz.Rene V.

wearfisher2

I use sunray shadows tied on a 2" plain plastic tube, size 13 salar tube treble with up to a 6" wing and don't get any tail nipping in fact they take them right back and can be hooked in the gill rakers.

wearfisher2

No I just cast downstream at usual angle and retrieve at a slow figure of eight. The takes vary from rod wrenchers to the line just going 'heavy'. I have tried square and fast as advocated for daytime salmon but never had a take fishing it that way.

I nearly always use an intermediate line and have never seen any takes on the top nor does the fly create any wake. It works best in very low water as the large plastic tube is less inclined to get weeded.