Barbless hooks

dj33

Well it looks as if it's going to be a first season on the river with barbless hooks, it's difficult enough with barbed hooks, anyone on hear had much success with barbless hooks and sea trout?

x-rap

Well it looks as if it's going to be a first season on the river with barbless hooks, it's difficult enough with barbed hooks, anyone on hear had much success with barbless hooks and sea trout?
What river, I've seen a few bits and pieces on various rivers but no changes in EA byelaws.

dj33

What river, I've seen a few bits and pieces on various rivers but no changes in EA byelaws.
The river ogmore , seems there is a few new rules, I only fly fish for game fish but to be honest I'm starting to turn away from game angling as the nrw don't do anything for us, it's the commercial boats and the polluters that need tackling,

Alwyn

I would imagine that barbless hooks on an acrobatic leaping sea trout is a bit of a recipe for disaster. As you say, the authorities have targeted the anglers for reform and have left the real problems facing sea trout stocks untouched.

Richard

I have used barbless hooks when required to for carp fishing (some time ago). Trouble is in order to keep the fish on you have to play it harder and in particular don't let your line go slack!
My opinion was that micro barbed hooks did less damage than barbless. (on carp)
Richard

dj33

I have used barbless hooks when required to for carp fishing (some time ago). Trouble is in order to keep the fish on you have to play it harder and in particular don't let your line go slack!
My opinion was that micro barbed hooks did less damage than barbless. (on carp)
Richard
I actually do a lot of carp fishing these days, and I'm a bailiff on the water I fish, last season we went to total barbless for carp as we had carp tethered after a break off of a snag caused problems, so far we have found that barbless hooks have caused less damage although most fish with size 6 or 4 hooks , which is ok, I found smaller hooks cause a lot of damage to carps mouths, barbless hooks for salmon have never been an issue but with sea trout like your self I loose loads on barbed hooks and I really can't see the catch returns to the nrw being a true reflection of catches as if people follow the rules on barbless "not me" then there will be a lot more lost fish, if the nrw actually cared about the salmon /sea trout they would stop picking on us easy target paying game anglers and go sort out the trawlers , poachers , river polluters and the ever growing inland predators which in some cases have un naturally be brought back thanks to the EA or NRW. In their stupidity

sewinfly

I would rather a micro barb.
Dai Jones was a big time carp fisherman with many big doubles to his name.
He said barbless caused the hook hold in the mouth to elongate.Where a bard kept it in place.

Sewinfly................

Reactions: T7

dj33

I would rather a micro barb.
Dai Jones was a big time carp fisherman with many big doubles to his name.
He said barbless caused the hook hold in the mouth to elongate.Where a bard kept it in place.

Sewinfly................
Have to admit , not seen much damage to mouths where we fish , mouths are perfect with barbless , also the carp society waters are all barbless and the pictures shown of carp are all good , I have lost a few more carp on barbless mind but we had to put the rule in place as the water has so many under water snags it allows the carp to get rid of the hook in case of break off,