Anything Hoppy can do . . . .

Neilh

. . . . I can't do anywhere near as well, but I did have a good day on the Dove today.

I worked my way from Dovedale up to Dove Holes with just one nice-sized grayling to show for my efforts before I bumped into another LADFFA member working his way down from Milldale and we spent an hour or so trying to tempt a few grayling from a pod of largish fish with some success. I finally worked out the key was to bore them into submission - one fish took my nymph on about the 20th run past his/her nose - and I ended up with 5 grayling - all in the 1-2lb range I'd guess and all sight-fished on a smallish (size 16) nymph - the water is gin clear at the moment.

A couple of not great quality photos

Lots of wildlife - more Dippers than I remember seeing before, several Treecreepers, a Heron and no Mergansers.

A good day :)

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Well done mate lovely fish. I struggled today - fished a few beats of the Severn for 5 fish - only 3 decent ones - i'll post later.

Neilh

Cheers both - they were in really good condition - no predator damage. Whilst I often wish there weren't so many walkers (and dogs :mad:) in Dovedale I think there are benefits in terms of keeping the predators off the water. There is a merganser on one of the stretches away from the main path but I think/hope the combination of the large number of people and the fact that the river runs through a high-sided gorge with a lot of tree cover keeps the cormorants away. Of course, another added benefit of the high footfall is that the fish are less easily spooked :)

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Neil, you've hit the nail on the head - high footfall tends to spook the birds and makes the fish less spooked, not necessarily easier to catch!

Although - i dont like a lot of people about, sometimes the solitude is more important than the fishing.

Hoppy