Afon Tywi 2012

moonshadow

Hi Folks managed to hook into this little beauty yesterday. Sorry for the crap photo it does not do the fish justice but i was in a rush to get the fish back into the water.

Waddington

Yes Mike, definitely a beauty but can't agree with the 'little'! Real cracker of a fish. Well done :cool:.

Phil

Last edited:

Aled

A message for all permit holders of Cymdeithas Pysgota Llandeilo Angling Association Cyf.

Sunday the 27th of May Work Party on the Llandeilo Angling Association Water.
Meet 10am Llandeilo Railway Staion Car Park, please make an effort to attend it is you the anglers who will benefit.
If you have your own strimmer please bring it we will supply fuel. Other than that bring scythes, sickles and rakes!
Tight Lines
Aled

SJF Simon

One or two being caught/seen, Shad are very busy. Thats about it....................
Aled
Oh good, I havent had a shad for a few years, I always like to see them. I'm out and about a bit his week, monday night I think I'll try the lower CAAA waters, Jarrets or that area, Mid week I may try Llandeilo water - I've never really sorted out how and where to fish the baskets pool. Any Info Aled? Where abouts does the fishing on the baskets start and end?

Aled

I don't fish the baskets a lot, never have really. However the baskets has changed a bit in recent years (saw it last Thursday for the first time in years) basically what i would do is go up to the boundary fence and fish it down to the end, it all looks fishy to me.
Intermediate line and a sewin pattern on a 1 inch wadi or tube should see you OK if there fish present.
Cheers
Aled

Aled

Fished a very good beat of the Tywi last night. I was very disappointed that i did not even see a fish, let alone catch one. Sorry to say this is cause for concern. There should be a few around by now!
Tight Lines
Aled

silverone

It's good to hear that I am not the only person who is of this opinion, I thought I was just in the wrong place wrong time, having fished at least 10 nights since the last flood I have only managed to hook three fish two bein schoolies. Am I glad you have posted to inform us of your concerns, its far better than not posting at all! Let's just hope people don't try and contradict our post trying to make out they are doing really well and there are plenty of fish about, it doesn't help high light the sorry state of the sewin stock! If you have done well this spring then good on you but I can assure you are a minority? As every body i have fished with and spoken to from llandovery to the tidal reaches have reported the same. No fish seen no fish caught. I'm sorry if this post is negative but i think its about time people started emphasizing the lack of fish, there is no shame in a blank night... Any ways i will preserve with the thought that every fish caught is now that much more precious :-(

Last edited:

Dryline

I am hoping that the lack of fish is more to do with the previous very dry springs and therefore very poor smolt output/survival / predation. Therefore suggesting a cyclic effect. This reasoning I want to believe because it suggests a possible reversal of fortune in the coming years at some point. Assuming of course we get more springs like this year ie water!! Maybe next year we will be able to tell and if we get an upturn in schoolies then it could be a sign of this. Please, anyone tell me if they think this would not be the case. Like I said, this is what I WANT to believe.
It does seem to be most, if not all sewin rivers are without fish in Wales. Has anyone heard otherwise ie any rivers seeing signs of numbers? As it seems ( tell me otherwise ? ) universal then the smolt run itself ( or lack of in the past few years ) is the only common denominator I can think of that would relate to in river issues. If not and of course more worrying it must be something at sea. That is scary if it is the case.
There seems to be an increase these days in sea fishing for Sewin. Maybe if we started to generate interest in anglers taking DNA samples ( who would process them ? ) and tagging consistently and sending them in then more information can be gathered as to the typical feeding patterns/ migration of sewin along the coast. We know they are coastal see feeders unlike their pelagic brothers and sisters the salmon.
Can anyone comment on the salmon numbers in the same rivers that now seem devoid of sewin ? Is this downturn affecting sewin more than salmon? I assume that if it is smolt related then there must be some correlation with their numbers also?
I am sure that sewin must be caught as by catch in coastal trolling nets up and down the coast. Maybe we could generate some interest there and at least utilize the by catch in some way rather than it just be swept overboard?

cortupblastit

I don't think we can blame the coracles and the Ferryside nets this year, sewin in Carmarthen market was £26/kg this morning,(actually that's probably rather less than it costs me !), or cold water from the dam, or seals in the estuary, or sea netting by bl**dy foreigners etc. It may all be down to our good old robustly independent (despite their heavy EU subsidies) farmers. The river seems to be carrying a constant tinge of colour at the moment, there's a lot of agrcultural activity going on including some high speed fording of the river by tractors carrying silage, and, from the smell of things, a fair bit of muck spreading to encorage the next crop. Next thing will be some high speed sheep dipping with cypermethrin or whatever it's called, to deprive the fry of their insect diet. In my mind, the loss of sewin from our rivers is simply the second wave of industrial destruction, the first of which eliminated salmon from so many rivers in Great Britain.

johnb

Towy Sunday 10th June

Towy Sunday 10th June

Fished the Llandeilo AA water from 5 p.m. till just after 8 p.m. on Sunday. It was clearer than I'd expected and I felt a bit over-gunned fishing a Flying C. Saw nothing and had no knocks until just before 8 p.m., when I saw a good fish show running into the lower half of the Baskets. It took the black Flying C first time and weighed 7½ lbs on the scales later.
Thank goodness there's always a daft one somewhere!

johnb

The fish was quite clearly a sea trout on every test, eye/mouth, lack of wrist, anal fin etc. If I can work out how to do it, I'll post a picture.

johnb

Here (if I've got the technology right!) is a picture of the fish (you can clearly see that outermost ray of the anal fin goes nearer to the tail than the innermost ray) and a close up of the eye/mouth that shows that the mouth extends well back beyond the line down from the eye. And it just looks like a chubby sea trout. Incidentally, I'm not trying to pass it off as fly caught. The fly box is there because it was the only thing to hand that would give some idea of scale.

sewinfly

For me John it's always the head on a sewin totally different on a salmon.
Well done
Sewinfly.......................