Afon/River Tywi 2016

Aled

Happy New Year All

Great to see others have opened threads on their favourite rivers. Thought I'd join in.
A lot of water around my home valley at the moment.
Tight Lines in 2016.
Aled

clwydman

Close to the upper reaches of the Clwyd, the bit a
Could do with some advice, my wife has booked a weeks holiday on a small farm half way between Llandovery and Llangadog. They will be doing a great deal of Carriage driving which gives me and my lad a chance to fish the river. We will probably book a week ticket but could do with some advice on which club waters may give us the best chance of a sea trout or two?
We are there in the last week of May next year. Any advice on where to fish and/or flies to use would be greatly received

Cheers

Ian

Andy R

Clwydman,

Aled will put you right, but I'll have a punt at it....

Last week of May there will be fish up to Llandeilo and Llangadog, I've fished Llangadog water which is ok, but the Llandeilo water is better..... It used to be waiting lists, now I'm not do sure. I used to fish best four of the golden grove water about ten years ago, we used to catch on the night fly in mid-May, by late May you could have a reasonable head of larger fish in. If you get water and it's allowed, then worming and spinning can be very effective. I mate of mine used to fish on golden grove beat four in April and used to manage a fish a day ( usually worm and spinner) they were always large fish, one four day trip he had said fish a day, at 10lb, 11lb, 12lb6oz and 11lb.....I remember it well as he'd phone me every time he landed one ( I was stuck in work)

There will be fish about, Aled will have all the recent SP

Aled

Hi Clwydman. Andy is smack on with his advice although May has not been as productive in recent years there will be definitely be some fish in Llandeilo, Llangadog, and Llandovery. All three clubs have got web sites so have a look online. Llandeilo www.llandeiloangling.co.uk is my club, and we have 9 miles of river plus a 1 1/2 of the Cothi, weekly tickets cost £75, and can be bought at the local newsagents. All clubs have good fly and bait water, but please make sure you read all rules before you fish. Rods 9ft to 11ft sewin rods take your pick, lines floater, Intermediate or sink tip & DI3 should see you ok. Flies black silver and red/orange/yellow some with all black bodies, some with silver from size 12 doubles up to 3inch waddis and tubes, plus a surface lure or two! Put in a few personal favourites as well, I quite like a hairwing red mackerel or squirrel blue n silver. Chest waders are a big help.
Tight Lines
Aled

clwydman

Close to the upper reaches of the Clwyd, the bit a
Thanks Andy and Aled, looking forward to giving it a go! Haven't fished in West Wales for years! Used to fish the Eastern Cleddau which was great. Fished the Towy once with a friend who had permission to fish in the grounds of the college. Hooked a huge salmon in a pool about half way down played it to the net where it managed to depart. I was only a young lad so proceeded to jump up and down shouting and swearing! some bloke appeared with a dog and asked 'if I had lost a trout?' i pointed out it was a f***ing big salmon, he didnt say much just walked off. 20 minutes later my friend came down and asked if I had met the Dean!!!!!! Been too frightened to return to the Towy since!

Aled

Nice one Clwydman! Did a something similar whilst at Uni, swore loudly at a door with the sign saying "lecture cancelled" (time was precious I was off to fish the Fowey!) , thought I was alone, turned around to find three dog collared ministers of religion standing behind me! :eek:
Clwydman You have a pm.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Hello All
The Cymdeithas Pysgota Llandeilo Angling Association web site has been updated.
Worth a look in preparation for the season.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Well I'm missing the first week of the season this year (family holiday), so tight lines to all of you venturing out during the early season. Please let us know of any catches.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Had a few hours fresh air, a nice walk along the river, combined with some fly casting practice last night saw. Saw no sewin or salmon although a few trout rose. Good to see several large shoals of minnows. Yep river slime was in evidence as others have noted.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Went out last night for a few hours, a bit of wind and rain to begin with but it did ease. Nothing happened for yours truly, but my mate Fal lost a nice sewin of 4-5lb (saw it jump) and we saw one of around 3lb.
A nice spate would not go amiss now.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Double strike against illegal netters

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) enforcement officers were kept busy during the early hours of Thursday morning as they apprehended not one but two pairs of men suspected of illegal netting

In the first instance, two men from the Burry Port area were caught and questioned on suspicion of illegal netting in the Burry Inlet.

And later that same night, two men from the Swansea Area were also apprehended and questioned in connection to suspected illegal netting within the Three Rivers.

A number of vehicles and two vessels, along with fishing equipment and nets were seized during the operation, which was supported by Dyfed Powys Police.
Investigations are continuing.

Lyn Richards, Environmental Crime Team Leader for NRW, said:

“Restrictions on netting in certain areas are there for a reason, this is to protect vulnerable fish stocks including salmon and sea trout,

“We take these instances of illegal netting very seriously and will continue to work with local communities to tackle this crime which threatens our wildlife and our rivers.

“We urge anyone who sees signs of illegal poaching or netting to report it immediately via our incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60.”

Waddington

Finally got my act together and had a go yesterday at Golden Grove. Nice bit of water from the rain, but slightly disappointing to see quite how quickly the river dropped over Saturday night.

I only fished for a few hours and as seems to be the rule for my brother and I with any first fishing expedition regardless of whichever branch of the sport we drew a blank. I would have liked to have given it longer but being stuck on kidney dialysis these days the energy for a full days session just isn't there :mad:.

I did hear that other anglers had some luck with 6 Sea Trout and a Salmon being caught yesterday (Sunday) at Golden Grove :). From reports I have heard it seems like it's been a slow start to the season, but hopefully this water will now kick start the season.

Phil

Andy R

Waddington,

Good report, hopefully you'll be able to get one soon, the Tywi has always been earlier than the Dovey ( early run of April and May fish is often followed by a lull until the main run in the third week in June....

Keep the reports coming,

Andy

Aled

With a mate I Had a few hours fishing last night saw 1 sewin move, and did not get any definite sewin takes. Bit disappointing!
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Had a few hours last night, hooked either a good brown trout or a small sewin, which threw the hook. One other tap and that was it. Did hear one splash downstream somewhere. Four anglers out, all four of us commenting on how quiet it was.
Yep lets just hope their late.
Tight Lines
Aled

Andy R

A decent flood would help Aled, same as on the Dovey, looking a bit dirty a nice 2m+ flood to clear it out....