Afon/River Tywi 2016

Waddington

Fished with my brother this afternoon for a few hours at Golden Grove. Pleased to report that he managed a very nice mint 4lber. He also disappointingly lost a very fresh salmon about the 10 -12lb mark. I managed to blank :eek:, but at least I managed to fish with a bit more energy than my last visit. It helps if you can stand up without feeling that you're going to keel over! We spoke to a couple of other anglers who had a few fish.

I don't think the unsettled water is helping now - there are fish about but with the constant high water they seem spread out making finding them tricky. Right place and time! Anyway that's my thoughts, but after only a few hours on the river other people will be in a better position to comment! What isn't in question is the quality of the fish present, which are well worth putting plenty of effort chasing.

Alwyn - I have several times watched an otter working through the College Pool in broad daylight from the bridge. Totally unconcerned by us onlookers.

Phil

Last edited:

Aled

Some of you may have noticed that I have been quiet recently. Well I have not fished the Tywi much recently as I have been building brownie points for the trip of a lifetime. I came back from 5 days fishing the West Ranga river Iceland last Friday. Between 5 of us we managed 27 salmon, all on fly, most on the floating line and small flies. Salmon everywhere I managed 6. Our guides Eurgar and Sigui were brilliant. Worth noting that I tied up a lot of inch tubes with sunray shadow type flies. They were not that effective, but my size 10 and 12 wee sewin doubles which were in my box more by luck than judgement were pretty effective. The guides really liked our black n red combos, I left him our patterns. Never seen so many salmon, seems the ranching system works well for them, and its financed by local landowners.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

For information and on the 28thof July only: LlandoveryCanoeclub have politely asked to hold a safety training event on Llandeilo club water during the early evening. They have both landowner and the clubs permission to do so.

Aled

Had a few hours on the river Saturday night, with my partner in crime Arwel. A few hours well spent he had a lovely shining silver fish of around 4lb, and I managed a cracking sewin of around 12lb (returned) didn't see many move though. A few hours well spent!
Tight Lines
Aled

JB

Decided to pop down from Peterborough on the Saturday night and fished the Llandeilo AA stretch, a bit of it anyway (so much water, will definitely be back). Managed a slightly coloured fish under 2lb around 11pm. Temperature seemed to drop fiercely about 1am so I packed up then. Met a couple of local rods who were very friendly and helpful.

Waddington

Had a few hours on the river Saturday night, with my partner in crime Arwel. A few hours well spent he had a lovely shining silver fish of around 4lb, and I managed a cracking sewin of around 12lb (returned) didn't see many move though. A few hours well spent!
Tight Lines
Aled
Well done Aled on a cracking fish :). Looks like a bit of that Iceland magic has carried over to your home river.

Phil

Waddington

Managed to get down Golden Grove for a few hours this afternoon. Water was up following the rain and very coloured.

My brother caught a very nice clean 13lb Salmon quite quickly spinning. I can't put the same effort he puts into his fishing at the moment and despite my best efforts I blanked. Too much time spent sitting on the bank knackered rather than plugging away. I did at least make myself useful in netting the Salmon without mishap! Maybe I should just play at bring ghillie!

With the proviso that I have spent very limited time on the river, there does seem to be a very encouraging number of summer Salmon present in the river this year. Hopefully this water might encourage some more fresh fish into the system.

Phil

Aled

Fished a bit this weekend. Arwel managed three on Friday night up to 7lb, and I had one of around 3lb on Saturday night. All fish returned.
Fair bit of wind blowing down the valley this weekend, fly casting has not been easy!
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Fished Llandeilo waters last night, managed two fish around the 2lb mark, both on very large Dyfi Black n Orange tube flies. Arwel also had one of a similar size on a Surface lure. Another angler present also had two fish one of around 6lb both on small tubes.
Tight Lines
Aled

Alwyn

I fished Llangadog on Wednesday night on what felt like a perfect sea trout fishing night. I stuck to the Crewil pool. Had a schoolie first cast on a small tube and then switched to the Jambo when it got really dark. I had lots of interest but they wouldn't stick except one cracking 4lber. An arm wrenching take and a superb fight - memorable. Quite a few fish sploshing. I finished at 1am as it was during our family holiday and I didn't want to take liberties! I felt that more fish were there for the catching had a I stayed on but had to to tear myself away.

Aled

Took my children out on Sunday evening, caught a few brown trout, but we did get one small sewin following the minnow in. The good news is that both of my children can now cast with a fixed spool reel. Time for the fly next!
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

Threw a spinner around yesterday morning. Managed a slightly stale (returned) sewin of around 3lb on a green and gold toby. First sewin I've had on a toby for years! Saw 2 others caught.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

UPDATE:
To all those who fish Llandeilo Angling Association waters:
It is Catch and Release for all sea trout caught on club waters from the 1st of September until the end of the season. Other clubs on the Tywi (Llangadog for example) have similar rules so please check your rule books if you have any plans to take a fish for the table.
You may retain salmon from Llandeilo waters until the 7th of October, but no more than 3 during the season.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aled

The autumn liming of the Doethie, the upper most tributary of the Tywi, is going ahead this weekend (Friday the 23rd & Saturday the 24th).

Following on from the Carmarthenshire Rivers Trust, Afonydd Cymru is now carrying out the program with help from volunteers from Llandovery AA and Carmarthen Fishermen’s Federation - and of course myself and others dedicated to the cause.

This is basically the release of limestone sand into the head waters of the Doethie and Pysgotwr catchments. This sand settles into the river substrate and in times of higher flows - when acidic pulses are at their worst - this sand is animated into the water column and attacked by the acid, which is then neutralised by the limestone sand. Simple but genius.... and it's working! Smolt outputs are actually increasing in this catchment which is great news! Survey results are showing ecological improvements and these will obviously have an effect on water quality (& therefore smolt survival) on the main Tywi system.

This activity takes place twice a year (Spring and Autumn) and has demonstrated continued benefits: The electro-fishing results from this year on this catchment are looking promising, showing good populations of juvenile salmon (0+) - bucking the trend of the widespread poor results that have been demonstrated on the main Tywi system, and indeed and other rivers Wales wide.

Responsibility for continuing the liming will transfer to the new West Wales Trust when it is formed next month.

The funds for the project are being provided by Dwr Cymru Welsh Water as part of its mitigation for the loss of spawning caused by the construction of Llyn Brianne reservoir. NRW are continuing with their valuable support for the project by demonstrating the benefits of liming by monitoring water quality, invertebrates, mosses, birds and fish populations. Support is also being provided by the local NRW forestry staff at the Llandovery office.