Afon Dwyfor

T7

Shame to hear that the run has been poor this season after the better year last year. Any explanations?

williamelfyn

I wish I knew - things that do not help - megansers, the seal sitting at the mouth of the river, mink, still too many small half pound fish being killed, doubtful catch and release practises ( by that I question how many survive after swallowing a worm, how many survive after one has fiddled trying to remove a treble hook or more than one on a rapala), poaching still goes on - one family puts nets across many small feeder streams, late in the season, nets between the mouth of the river and Criccieth, supposedly catching mullet, most large sea trout are killed and not returned (why do people kill these? They are lousy eating!). By the way, the eel population seems to have completely collapsed, they seem to be almost absent - I have not seen one for ages. I am sure I could think of more 'factors' involved in this problem. Last years catch returns were better, but put in context still very poor compared with 30 years ago, the graph has been a downward trend with a few blips on the way. The river quality has not been better, the EA insists that the parr population is excellent however the smolt population is still a shadow of their former selves - the river used to be black with them returning - not now. Salmon appeared in our river for a couple of weeks before the end of the season last year with high water - some 40 were caught. This year those numbers just have not come in even with consistent high water - I keep on hoping - perhaps the next tide. The river is traditionally late for salmon most coming in around Christmas - however in the late 80's in August there used to be a good run of grilse and people used to catch them at night on fly as they used to on the River Kent - Kendal - August salmon are very rare, almost non-existent now.

reservoirobert

I remember an article in the International Flyfisher magazine ( I think that's right ) by Brian Harris , where he caught a lovely salmon on the Dwyfor , from memory it was called " suddenly a salmon " he was fishing the Aberkin stretch and it was a nice fish about 10-12lbs, also some nice photos, Happy Days.

williamelfyn

Yes, that is what is so upsetting and why I have turned to wandering the World looking for fishing as it used to be - I never needed to think of fishing anywhere else - between the Ogwen, Seiont, Llyfni, Dwyfor, Glaslyn, Dwyryd, I was spoilt for fishing and when there was a flood it scrambled my mind trying to decide which river to fish. There is perfect water for salmon fly fishing at the moment!

williamelfyn

The season is of course now over - October the 17th - the finish a damp quib at best - on the Sunday I saw 3 salmon turn, but none we caught as far as I know. Overall this season has been poor, one or two highlights - one person had three nice salmon on a private section near Trefan Hall, one 10 lb sea trout an 8 lb salmon, a smattering of 3 and 4 lbs sea trout - I am sure there must be fish caught thatI don't know about. Will the EA react to this? Dear me - a sad situation. Next season - we shall see.