Affordable seatrout fishing in wales, planning a trip, roughly what are th costs?

speydream

I am thinking of travelling over from ireland at some point for some seatrout fishing.

I am curious to know where are the best places to fish, obviously the towey, teifi etc come to mind but where are the other hidden gems.

I am looking for value for money, I can't afford patagonia so wales is a good substitute for me.

All advice welcome!

thanks

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Two weeks would offer the opportunity to fish a few rivers in Wales, and at that time my first port of call would be the River Dyfi.

You will have to apply for a weeks ticket in advance - this will cost around £170.00. (it allows fishing on Mon, Tues, Thursday and Saturday on the main river - and you can also fish Wednesday (if there is water on, and Friday on the Upper beat) There is no fishing on a Sunday - and i would use this as a day to travel.

Accomodation should be ok at that time, and a large caravan or cottage would probably be available for around £250 - £500.

For the 2nd week, i'd look at a few days on the Teifi in Llandysul - taking day tickets, and also a couple on the Tywi and Conwy. I dont think it would be worth booking a beat in advance - as day tickets are readily available - and a Wash off ticket would be no good for you.

The Conwy - is a North Wales river and can be fished if you stay at the Gwydwr Hotel in Betws-y-Coed - perhaps the most pretty village in Wales. The fishing is lovely and offers the chance of Salmon and Sea Trout.

I really would consider the Dyfi - it is stunning.

If you are interested, then there are people on the site who may be able to offer you a guided tour of the beat.

I wouldn't recommend a fortnight in one area, and whilst the Tywi is the most famous river for Sewin, she can be a very tough mistress.

I think a week on the Dyfi and a roaming approach would be a really good trip - and it will allow a variety of fishing, Sea Trout, Salmon, Trout and Sea Bass.

You will also need a Migratory licence from a post office - which can be purchased daily - but is better value if you buy a weekly version - £23)

Hoppy

speydream

Thankyou so much for the info.

I would be travelling light, with a tent.....hoping to save money by camping in the area?

Have you got any pictures of the dyfi?

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Upper River in Spate

Some Upper River pools

Lower River - Fir Tree

and some fish

Hope this helps - dont neglect the Teifi and Tywi - but there are more rivers about!

Hoppy

Aled

Hoppys reply is smack on, nothing to add. If you come to Wales and you've got the time fish the big three, Tywi, Teifi and Dyfi. The following angling associations have web site, Teifi Trout, Llandeilo, Llandysul, Llangadog, Llandovery, and Tregaron.
Tight Lines
Aled

speydream

Will the DYFI take fish during the day or is it a night time river only, What are the runs of salmon like? Would it be worth fishing for salmon during the day and trout at night?

Always get the fear night time fishing, espically when doing it on a river I do not know!

Im getting excited about this, if I don't do it this year I will have to do it next year for sure!

SALAR

Wouldn't mind puttin a worm or floater through that pool in the second picture,,,looks familiar..

stump..

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
The Dyfi is a spate river, and in the Summer can be very low and clear - and in such conditions its not really worth fishing. If there is a flood then its worth fishing in the daytime with spinners, worm or the fly.

The lower river will take a fly in the day time especially if there is a touch of water on, and its dull and windy - although ive had a couple of small sewin when its sunny and low?

The Dyfi does have a run of Salmon but the best fishing is back-end Sep/October - but there will still be fish about earlier. The benefits of this area is that there are lots of other things you can target in the daytime - Brown Trout and good Bass fishing in the sea. There are other rivers in the area that can also offer fishing.

If the river is low and clear the day time is best spent having a recce and a rest!

Hoppy

speydream

Thanks for the information hoppy.

I will probably go ahead with this next year and pray I hit it right!

Thats some plump looking seatrout in those pics, I sure miss them!

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Let me know if you need any other info Bootsy i may be able to assist some more.

Hoppy

ps Stump - you're spot ob bud - its a lovely pool especially the tail!

FlyBri

Agree with the posts above. I'm unforunaetly quite limited in my experience on sewin rivers, so I can really only talk to some of those in SW Wales.
As Aled said, Llandeilo AA has some great pools and reasonable day ticket prices. Not sure about campsites near Llandeilo though so maybe Aled can add that. I do know though that if you get some day tickets for Crosshands water there is a campsite at Llangadog which is walking distance from a very nice beat there. This beat is a bit more upstream from Llandeilo so probably not as good in early season. If you go here, give me a shout and I'll walk the beat with you and show you the pools.

If there has been rain and you were planning to be on the Towy then try the Cothi (a trib of it) which is close by. It can fish really well with the fly during the daytime just 24hrs after a good spate.

Lastly, if you're in this region then I really would try the Teifi too - Llandysul angling day tickets from the Porth Hotel and there are some beautiful pools which are very prolific for sewin. Again, I or many guys on here can direct you to some good pools.

Cheers
Bri

Aled

Smack on Flybri, one quick comment which may be of interest to others on this site is that there is a brand new campsite on land next door to the National Trusts Home Farm (part of Dinefwr Park) for those of you who know the relatively new allotments in Llandeilo next to the Carmarthen Road the new site is yards away from there. I have no more details.....yet!
Tight Lines
Aled

andyp

I camped here http://www.riverviewtouringpark.com/ in Aug 2010 while fishing on the Towy. It took me about 20 mins approx to drive up to Llandeilo area.
The campsite accomodates tents and van's no club house just the basics but all very clean and tidy. Tell them your fishing they will try to place you on the lower field which is better for coming back late at night, as the gates are locked to the fields.